Approximately 20 days before move in:
- On the financial page you receive at approval, you will be given a pre-established date / time for move in.
- Approximately 10 to 20 days before you move in, you will receive an email reminder from our office of the following:
- a. Pre-scheduled day / time of when keys can be picked up
- b. Balance due before keys can be released (this is usually the rent due for the month, the pet fee, if that applies, last month’s rent, if that applies and the exit fee).
- c. Reminder regarding setting up utilities and which utilities may apply.
The day of move in:
The day of move in can be a stress full one. Below is some information you need to know when picking up the keys at our office on your scheduled date / appointment.
- When you come in to pick up the keys all balances must be paid either with a check, money order, cashier’s check, or online through the tenant portal. Credit cards, debit cards, and cash are NOT accepted in the office. Cards may be used in the online portal. Keys will not be released until all balances are paid in full.
- Prior to your move in, Apex did an inspection of the property and took videos of the unit to establish the condition at move-in.
- You will be given the move-in condition check list to add anything you see that Apex did not record. It is your responsibility to verify the condition of the unit is adequately and accurately documented on the check list.
- The condition check list must be returned to Apex within 72 hours.
Getting to know your unit:
When you move into a property, it is helpful to know where important items are located. Take the time to locate the following:
- Main circuit breaker
- Gas shut off valve (if applicable)
- GFI plugs
- Main water shut off
- Water shut offs below the sinks and behind toilets
- If you have a de-humidifier in your unit, contact the office for proper usage
- Appliances – read the information regarding appliances in the maintenance section of our website and become familiar with controls and how to use
Completing the Condition Check List:
The Condition Check List is a legal document and is the single most important document that will help determine how much of your deposit will be returned at the end of your lease. It is important you take this process seriously because it is for your protection. At the end of your lease, you must return the unit back to us in the EXACT same condition less normal wear and tear. Therefore, the check list is used to document what exists in the unit at move in so we can have an exact comparison. You must document everything you see in the appropriate category. Due to the number of units we manage, we cannot possibly remember the condition without this document.
Be descriptive as possible and if you are not sure you should document something…document it! This check list must be returned back to our office within 72 hours from your move in date.
Apex does a move in inspection before we release the keys to you. We also take a video to help document the initial condition in case the written document is not descriptive enough. The video link will be listed on the last page of the condition check list. Review the video and the notes the Apex agent writes on the last page of the check list. Apex will not document items in each individual category. You must document information on the check list in the actual categories. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE THIS DOCUMENT IS COMPLETE!
If you disagree with our video or our notes significantly, you must contact our office to discuss.
Frequently asked questions regarding the move in process:
- 1) Do all tenants need to be there to pick up the keys?
- a. NO – as long as all documents have been pre-signed, only 1 tenant needs to be present. But this tenant will receive all keys. We do not issue keys separately to each tenant. In addition, the entire balance due at move in must be paid.
- 2) May the date / time to pick up keys be changed?
- a. Any date / time changes must be scheduled with the application assistant by emailed her at email@example.com.
- b. Dates cannot be changed for an earlier date.
- c. Times can be changed to an earlier time in the day in most cases.
- d. The date of move in can always be later but rent will start on the move in date. You must have all balances paid by the move in date to not be considered late. But you can pick up keys on any day after the move in date. You must call or email to make the change.
- 3) May someone other than the person listed on the lease pick up keys at move-in?
- a. Yes, if the balances have been paid in full and all documents have been pre-signed.
- b. Any one of the tenants may give us authorization IN WRITING as to who will be picking up the keys.
- c. The person picking up keys must show a valid picture ID before we can release the keys to confirm their identity.